In accordance with our FBG church bylaws, the deacons are requesting names of qualified men to serve our church as deacons. These prospective deacons should be nominated by returning the attached form to the church office before July 9, 2023.
A screening committee of our current deacons will give each man nominated equal consideration. A list of nominees will be composed and required to complete a four-step screening process:
- Nominee needs to be a member of FBG for at least one year.
- Nominee needs to prayerfully consider what it means to be a deacon through Scripture review.
- Nominee is interviewed by the deacon-screening committee and by the lead pastor.
- Nominee is presented to church body for consideration and approval to be ordained.
The interview will be based on the biblical qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:1-7.
Pray about this matter and nominate the men that God lays on your heart. Remember, this is not a popularity contest, but a process to find those men that God has called to be servant leaders at FBG.
FBG Deacon Qualifications
The Greek word for deacon (diakonos) means table-waiter; a deacon is a servant. The primary role of a deacon is to serve Christ and the people by meeting physical, practical and spiritual needs.
- Biblical qualifications of a deacon:
- Acts 6:1-7
- 1 Timothy 3:8-13
- General responsibilities:
- Be a man of prayer (Ephesians 6:18, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, James 5:16, Philippians 4:6).
- Study, read, and meditate on Scripture (2 Timothy 3:15-17, Psalm 119:105, Hebrews 4:12).
- Support the pastor, staff and leadership of the church (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13, 1 Timothy 5:17).
- Make personal contacts of ministry, evangelism and care (Matthew 28:19-20).
- Keep peace in the church and help the church maintain its vision (Philippians 2:14-15, Hebrews 12:14, Ephesians 4:3, 1 Corinthians 14:26).
- Practice and encourage problem-solving with wisdom and biblical steps (Matthew 8:14-17).
- Participate in church services, tithing and caring for the church body (Acts 6:1-7)
- Be faithful (1 Corinthians 16:13, Ephesians 6:13)
- Believe in God to do a work of ministry through you and to build up the church (Ephesians 4:11-15; John 14:12, Philippians 2:13).
- Core serving positions:
- Attend deacon activities and meetings.
- Help serve the Lord’s Supper and collect offering in worship services.
- Participate in special prayer assignments during worship services.
- Participate in outreach ministries.
- Participate on a deacon-led ministry team.